Easement Program

Sanitary sewer easements give Castro Valley Sanitary District (CVSan) the universal right to use a portion of private property for maintaining the wastewater collection system. This provides CVSan with access rights to repair, replace, inspect, enlarge, change, maintain, test, and/or remove the sewer main inside of the easement.

CVSan Sewer System Facilities Map

Enter your address into the map below to find out if you have a sanitary sewer easement or manhole on your property. Green lines mark sewer main lines, and manholes are marked by yellow circles. Easements are typically five feet on either side of a manhole, and along the sewer main lines, however, easement size may vary. The location can be determined from recorded maps available from Alameda County or a Grant of Easement document. If you are unfamiliar with the size or location of your easement, contact your title company or CVSan at (510) 537-0757.

Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category

Who owns and maintains the easement?

How do I know where the easement is?

Can I make improvements in the easement?

Who can enter my property?

Why do CVSan employees need to enter my property?

Who do I contact about CVSan easements?

Are there penalties for locating structures or improvements on an easement?