Do you have a question? Submit it below to contribute to our FAQ.




FAQ Top Twelve

What is a Sewer Service Charge?
The purpose of the sewer service charge is to raise revenue to fund the cost for maintenance and operation and for renewal and replacement of the facilities necessary to collect, treat and dispose of wastewater generated from your home or business to ultimate deep-water discharge into San Francisco Bay. 
What number should I call to schedule a bulky item pick up?
To schedule a Bulky & Reuse Pick-Up, call Alameda County Industries at (510) 483 1400  
If I notice missing, damaged or noisy manhole lids (loose fitting) what do I do?
Please call CVSan immediately.

Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
(510) 537-0757

After Hours
(510) 506-5821 
What do I do with a dead animal?
If you find a dead animal (ex. rat, opossum, bird) on or near your property, please contact Alameda County Animal Control to pick up the animal.  If Animal Control is not able to come, Alameda County Vector Control Services District suggests bagging up the animal and placing it in your garbage cart or bin.  Please bag the animal first to help prevent and reduce the potential for disease transmission. 
My cart is broken how do I get a replacement one?
Call ACI at (510) 483-1400 to request the repair or replacement of a cart. It should take about 5 business days to receive a replacement cart. 
I just moved in to the area and need to start garbage service at my address. How do I do that?
To start new service at your address please contact ACI at (510) 483-1400 
Where in Castro Valley can I safely dispose of household hazardous waste?

The following facilities are open to residents of Alameda County.  No appointments are needed for residents.  Multi-family property owners must make an appointment and follow specific guidelines available at www.StopWaste.org/hhw.  


Hours of Operation

Fremont Facility

41149 Boyce Road, Fremont

Wednesdays - Fridays, 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.

Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Hayward Facility

2091 West Winton Avenue, Hayward

Fridays, 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. 

Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Livermore Facility

5584 La Ribera St, Livermore

Fridays, 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.

Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Oakland Facility

2100 East 7th Street, Oakland

Wednesdays - Fridays., 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. 

Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Along with the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste facilities listed above, there are also Castro Valley locations that accept some types of household hazardous waste.


This Location Accepts

CVSan Recycles Day Events

Every April and August

Canyon Middle School

19600 Cull Canyon Road, Castro Valley

Paint: stain, shellac, solvents, thinners, additives (see below), oil paint, and latex paint.

Adhesives: putty, caulk, epoxy, mortar, stucco, cement, and wood glue.

Auto: fuel, waxes, batteries, additives, motor oil filters, and coolant/antifreeze.

E-Waste: computers, TVs, radios, printers, electronic devices having significant circuit boards.

Garden: sprays, fertilizers, ant traps, pesticides, herbicides, rat poison, and gopher bait.

Miscellaneous: pool chemicals, photo chemicals, acids & caustics, household batteries, bleach & cleaners, and fluorescent bulbs.

Kelly Moore

3090 Castro Valley Boulevard, Castro Valley


Interior and exterior architectural paint sold in containers of 5 gallons or less will be accepted (latex, acrylic, water-based, oil-based, enamel, deck coatings, primers, sealers, stains, shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, swimming pool paints, metal coatings, and rust preventatives). Both new and old paint can be dropped off, even if it is over 20 years old.

Residents, trade painters, contractors, and businesses (that produce less than 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month) are eligible to participate. 


21040 Marshall Street, Castro Valley

Wall Mounted, Mercury-Switch Thermostats

Please recycle the entire thermostat and do not remove the mercury switch or cover. If you have mercury switches that have been removed from thermostats, contact the Thermostat Recycling Corporation at 1-888-266-0550 for further guidance. 

For more information on thermostat recycling, please visit www.thermostat-recycle.org

Pete’s Ace Hardware

2569 Castro Valley Boulevard, Castro Valley

Fluorescent Bulbs and Batteries

Please drop off only during normal business hours.  If you have large quantities of bulbs, place them in a box.



What do I do with an old mattress?

Mattresses are accepted at CVSan’s April Recycles Day events.

You can also visit byebyemattress.com to search for recycling facilities and collection sites for your old mattresses. 

If you cannot take advantage of the Bye Bye Mattress program, CVSan offers an annual on-call Bulky Goods Pick-Up. Mattresses are accepted within the 7 cubic yard limit. To schedule a Bulky Item Pick-Up call ACI at (510) 483-1400.
My cart was missed during collection. What do I do?
Call ACI at (510) 483-1400 to report a missed collection. 
Where can I recycle my old electronics?

E-Waste options for Castro Valley Sanitary District (CVSan) residents:
  • Every April and August, residents can drop off e-waste at CVSan’s Recycles Day event.
  • The following facilities are open to residents of Alameda County. No appointments are needed for residents.  Multi-family property owners must make an appointment and follow specific guidelines available at www.StopWaste.org/hhw.  
Location Hours of Operation
Fremont Facility 41149
Boyce Road, Fremont 
Wednesdays – Fridays, 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Saturdays, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Hayward Facility
2091 West Winton Ave., Hayward 
Fridays, 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Livermore Facility
5584 La Ribera St., Livermore
Fridays, 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Oakland Facility
2100 East 7th Street, Oakland
Wednesdays – Fridays, 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

I have a question about my garbage bill - who should I call?
Questions about billing should be directed to ACI at (510) 483-1400 
Can I get extra recycling and organics carts?

The single-family curbside collection program includes a blue Recyclables cart, a green Organics cart, and a gray Garbage cart.

–Single-family residents can request an additional blue Recyclables cart at no extra cost.
–Additional blue Recyclables carts (more than 2) will incur a cost.
–Additional green Organics carts (more than 1) will incur a cost.

If you wish to order an extra cart call ACI at (510) 483-1400

Wastewater Services

What is the difference between CVSan and EBMUD?
East Bay Municipal Utility District supplies homes with clean water, whereas CVSan is responsible for the collection and treatment of wastewater. 
What is a collection system?
A collection system is a network of pipes, manholes, clean-outs, lift stations and other structures used to collect all wastewater and transport it to a treatment plant or disposal system. CVSan is a collection system only. Treatment and disposal take place at the Castro Valley/Oro Loma Wastewater Treatment Facility in San Lorenzo. 
What do you mean by sanitary sewer system?
Sanitary sewer systems are the collection of pipes, pumps and lift stations, manholes, service lines, and other infrastructure throughout the District designed to handle and safely transport used water, body wastes, and toilet paper as sewage to a treatment plant. 
I am having a sewage overflow. What do I do?
Contact CVSan immediately to report a sewage overflow. To contact CVSan during normal business hours (Monday – Friday, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm), please call (510) 537-0757. For after hours (weekdays between 4:00 pm – 7:00 am and weekends) please contact CVSan on-call personnel at (510) 506-5821. 
What will the CVSan do when a backup occurs?

CVSan will assess the backup to determine if the blockage is in the public sewer line or the property owner’s private sewer lateral. CVSan will clear blockages that occur in the public sewer line only. Property owners are responsible for blockages that occur in their private sewer lateral, located within two (2) feet of the foundation wall of the building and extending to and including the connection to the public sewer line.

If it is determined that the public sewer line is blocked, only CVSan has the authority to clear the system. If the public sewer line is clear, the District’s representative may advise the property owner to contact a plumbing contractor to perform maintenance to their private sewer lateral.

What causes a sanitary sewer to backup?

Most sewer backups happen because the line is plugged with an obstruction. However, backups can be caused by several factors including the condition of the sanitary sewer system itself, natural phenomena such as earth movement, heavy rainfall, and the incorrect usage of the system by the public.

Some common backup causes are:

  • Solids / debris – Typical solids that buildup in the pipe and cause backups are dirt, hair, bones, tampons, paper towels, kitty litter, diapers, broken dishware, garbage, concrete, and debris.
  • Fat/Oil/Grease - When fat, oil or grease is discharged into a sewer system they will solidify and, after a while, can build up and plug drain lines in your building or complex. They can also plug the sewer lines owned by the District, thus increasing the maintenance cost to the District. Plugged sewers can also cause flooding of nearby private homes and businesses.
  • Tree Root infiltration – Tree roots can cause backups. Roots can infiltrate the pipe system and block the wastewater flow.
  • Water inflow/infiltration – Rainwater entering the public sewer line can cause system problems and overflows. If the sanitary sewers only transported wastewater, backups would only occur when obstructions were present in sewer pipes. However, during certain wet weather conditions, sanitary sewers can become overloaded with groundwater or storm water runoff so they become surcharged or overloaded. This results in backups into lower levels and basements, or slow running services.
  • Structural defects in pipes and manholes – Significant sags, bellies in the line, cracks, holes, protruding laterals, misaligned pipe, offset and open joints and collapsing pipe material are all possible causes of backups.
If I notice missing, damaged or noisy manhole lids (loose fitting) what do I do?
Please call CVSan immediately.

Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
(510) 537-0757

After Hours
(510) 506-5821 
What is an Easement?
An Easement is a legal document that conveys limited property rights from the Grantor (Property Owner) to the Grantee (Castro Valley Sanitary District). This document is usually recorded in the office of the Alameda County Recorder. A sanitary sewer easement creates a non-exclusive, perpetual right to use a portion of your property for sanitary sewer purposes. This provides the District with access rights to repair, replace, inspect, enlarge, change, maintain, test and/or remove the sanitary sewer located within the easement. 
How do I pay my Sewer Service Charge?
The District uses the Alameda County Tax Rolls as the primary method of collection of the Sanitary Sewer Service Charge on an annual basis. This line item shows up on the property owner’s property tax bill under the Special Assessments section. 
How does my rate compare to other sewer service charge rates in the area?
CVSan has one of the lowest rates in Alameda County and lower than the average annual charge in the State of California. 

Solid Waste Services

What are all the recyclables that are accepted?

Inside the Blue Recycling Cart: All clean paper, corrugated cardboard, brown bags and paper, paperboard, paper egg cartons, telephone books and magazines, clear and colored glass containers, aluminum foil and beverage containers, scrap steel and aluminum metals (not exceeding 40 pounds in weight nor two (2) feet in any dimension for any single item); steel including ”tin” cans, aerosol cans (empty, non-toxic products), bimetal containers, all plastics (#1-7) except expanded Polystyrene (EPS).

On top of the Blue Recycling Cart: Dry cell batteries (household batteries such as AAA, AA, B, C, D, 9V, and small “button” batteries; no liquid batteries such as automobile batteries).

Next to the Blue Recycling Cart: Flattened corrugated cardboard no larger than 4’ tall x 4’ wide.

Can I recycle  cleaning wipes and facial tissue?

Compost cleaning wipes and used facial tissue. Wipes must be compostable (paper/tree-based). Please note, cotton or fabric wipes must be disposed of in the garbage. Do not flush cotton or fabric wipes down the toilet, as they may cause a sewer back-up.
I have extra cardboard that won't fit in my recycling cart. What do I do?
Customers with blue recycling cart service may flatten corrugated cardboard no larger than 4’ tall x 4’ wide and place beside the blue recycling cart for collection. 
Can I recycle shredded paper?
Place shredded paper in a paper bag to avoid litter problems, then compost in the green organics cart/bin. Please note, shredded paper cannot be recycled in the recycling cart/bin because the fibers are too short to be made into recycled paper. 
How do I recycle batteries?
Because of the toxic chemicals that can leak from batteries that end up in a landfill, it is against the law to throw any battery (including household batteries) into the trash. Single-Family and Multi-Family residents with blue recycling cart service may participate in CVSan’s curbside battery recycling program by placing used dry cell (household) batteries in a sealed clear plastic bag on top of your blue recycling cart on your service day. 
How do I recycle paint?

Paint is no longer accepted at the curb. All types of paint need to be taken to an Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste facility. Call (800) 606-6606 or (510) 670-6460 for more information.

Latex and water-based paint will be accepted at the CVSan Recycles Day. For more on paint visit www.household-hazwaste.org
Do you have any kitchen pails and vented lid pails for food scrap recycling?
CVSan currently has Open Air pails available. These are larger green containers with a handle and no lid. A standard grocery store paper bag fits inside the pail and allows moisture from the food scraps and food-soiled paper to evaporate quicker and easier than a pail with a sealed lid. Residents and small businesses have found these pails to work well and place them on the floor next to indoor recycling and garbage containers. The vented lid pail allows most smells from the container to be kept inside while not in use. Interested parties may complete a Donation Request Form. 
How do I recycle Used Motor Oil? Filters? Other auto fluids?

Single-Family residents may place one-gallon screw-top containers curbside beside your collection carts on your regular collection day. You can recycle up to three (3) gallons per week of motor oil, transmission fluid, gear lube and other lubricants commonly used in cars and light trucks. Oil filters can be put in a heavyweight sealed clear plastic bag and placed curbside. Call ACI at (510) 483-1400 to request delivery of a Used Oil jug and filter bag kit.

Used Oil and filters may be dropped off at a Collection Center (see below).

Collection Centers in Castro Valley:

  • Castro Valley Autohaus* 20697 Park Way (510) 581-4525
  • Jiffy Lube* 2492 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 582-7677
  • Kevin Hinckley Auto Tech* 5269 Crow Canyon Road (510) 881-1052
  • O'Reilly Auto Parts** 2990 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 881-0761
  • O'Reilly Auto Parts**15604 Hesperian Blvd. (510) 276-7822
  • Quality Tune Up* 2780 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 887-9945
  • RyNck Tire & Auto Center 3430 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 886-9500
  • Sal's Foreign Car Service* 3343 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 582-5282
  • SpeeDee Oil Change 3940 Castro Valley Blvd. (510) 886-9500

*Centers that also accept filters** Center that only collects motor oil; does not change oil.

What items can I take to the HHW facility?
For a complete list of items accepted at HHW visit www.household-hazwaste.org or call (800)606-6606. 
What are the locations and hours of operation for the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)?
There are locations in Oakland, Hayward, Livermore, and Fremont. Hayward and Livermore locations are open every other Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. Oakland is open every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday from 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. Fremont is open Thursday and Friday from 8:30 am - 2:30 pm and Saturday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. For further information about locations and operation schedule call (800) 606-6606 
Where can I take expired medications?

Thanks to the partnership between Castro Valley Sanitary District (CVSan), Eden Medical Center, and the Alameda County Medication Disposal Initiative Workgroup, you can now drop off your pharmaceutical waste at Eden Medical Center for free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The location of the free public collection box is:
Eden Medical Center
20103 Lake Chabot Road
Castro Valley, CA 94546

You can also bring expired medications to an Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste facility.